Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh darn... she's awake!!"

Sunday, June 8, 2008

First Kiss

A friend of Aly's recently came over to visit and delightedly confided to me, "I had my first kiss!!" She was so excited. (Wild horses will never get me to reveal the true identity of this girl!!)

As she told me the particulars (who, where, etc.) it took me back many many years to my own first kiss. Fortunately for all of us here today, I won't divulge the gory details of that moment because they were truly horrible. (Calvin was not my first kiss.)

......

I mean it... HORRIBLE!!!

.......

In fact, I try not to talk about that period of my life, except under certain conditions. I had a lot of embarrassing moments that year -- I wrecked my parent's car while driving the boy I liked around; I had a man expose himself through the living room window of a house where I was babysitting; and this kissing thing...


However, talking to my young friend made me think about other people -- what was your first kiss like? Was it horrible like mine? Was it the coolest thing ever -- like my friend? Was it scary? I think we all have "First Kiss" stories and they are all different.

For those of us growing up watching shows like Brady Bunch, we envisioned our first kiss to be soft, romantic and oh so .... safe. You remember Marsha's first kiss don't you? It was Desi Arnaz, Jr.!

"I'll never wash this cheek again!" she declared as she walked through her house in a daze.














(Don't forget Bobby's first kiss!! He thought he caught the mumps from Mary Ingalls! I guess that's not exactly safe is it?)

Several years later, the kisses weren't so safe as we watched Cory and Topanga swab each other's tonsils week after week after week....





A few years after that all bets were off as our daughters watched "stars" like Brittany Spears and Lindsay Lohan (among others) make out with anyone of any gender. (Notice the change of verb: "to kiss" is now "make out")

Ahhh.... the loss of innocence! At least here, in my little safe corner of the world, there are still some Marsha Brady moments available!!

6 comments:

thorkgal said...

Oh, the memories. My first kiss was the bestest ever!!! Thank you Joel Richardson, who will always occupy a place in my heart.(Sigh)

thorkgal said...

That was so Marsha like. Ha ha.

Chelli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yvonne said...

Gosh it was so long ago I don't even remember ; )

You are so right about the loss of innocence. It's so sad isn't it.

Maddie and Tanner Stevens said...

OH..MY..GOSH SISTER CAREY!!! haha wow i just died of laughter reading that about "a special friend of aly's!!!" did i give you permission to tell the whole world a certain girl got her first kiss? I DONT THINK SO! haha jk im sure that certain girl wont care!..haha well i finally got on your blog yay!! love ya!!

Anonymous said...

Well written article.